Humans use 10% of brain... true?

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at svt.ntnu.no
Thu Aug 26 08:22:01 EST 1999

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999 20:19:56 -0400, "Martin Knopman"
<mknopman at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>I don't even know what this question means!  You have some notion of 100%
>utilization of the brain?

I think there is at least two way of definig this. It coud mean that
90% of the brain cells are never used to process information, i.e.
that during their entire life all activity is strictly spontaneous. Or
it could mean that only 10% of the brain cells are active
simultaneously. If this is the case, the usage of 100% brain would
certainly be hazardous. It would constitute one heck of a seizure if
all brain neurons suddenly fired simultaneously -- it would knock you
right out. But the myth is nonsence, so we don't need to worry about
underusage or over-usage of the brain.

BTW: the myth is kept alive by new-age freaks who try to convince
people (and themselves?) that the brain has capacity to perform super-
natural operations, e.g. telepathic transission of thought.

Sturla Molden