Capacity of the brain

Bill Skaggs skaggs at bns.pitt.edu
Mon Aug 30 10:38:10 EST 1999

"Claes Frisk" <Claes.Frisk at psyk.ks.se> writes:

> Are there any reasonable estimations of the capacity(speed, memory,...) of
> the brain in computer terms?
> I realize that the two can't be directly compared, but I guess that it's
> been done a number of times anyway.

You see numbers every so often, but mostly they're off the cuff and
not very reasonable.  My own very rough estimate, based on counting
memory elements and guessing their individual capacity, is about 1 -
10 terabytes of memory.  Speed is much more problematic, because it
isn't even clear what the appropriate units are -- nobody has yet come
up with a benchmark for the brain!  It might perhaps be possible to
estimate the bandwidth of the "memory bus".

	-- Bill