Capacity of the brain

Ralph Leonhardt leo at
Tue Aug 31 02:23:16 EST 1999

On 30 Aug 1999, Bill Skaggs wrote:

> "Claes Frisk" <Claes.Frisk at> writes:
> > Are there any reasonable estimations of the capacity(speed, memory,...) of
> > the brain in computer terms?
> > I realize that the two can't be directly compared, but I guess that it's
> > been done a number of times anyway.
> You see numbers every so often, but mostly they're off the cuff and
> not very reasonable.  My own very rough estimate, based on counting
> memory elements and guessing their individual capacity, is about 1 -
> 10 terabytes of memory.....<snip>

you counted the memory elements of a (the) brain? Then you can probably
tell us poor neurobiologists what they are and how they work ;-).

Greetings, Leo

Ralph Leonhardt (Dipl.-Biol.)			Tel.:	+49 (0)234 700 5559
Inst. f. Neuroinformatik, Geb. ND 04/297	Fax:	+49 (0)234 709 4209
D-44780 Bochum, Germany

E-mail: ralph.leonhardt at