SV: Capacity of the brain

Claes Frisk Claes.Frisk at psyk.ks.se
Tue Aug 31 03:31:57 EST 1999

Arthur T. Murray <uj797 at victoria.tc.ca> skrev i
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:<37caa778.0 at news.victoria.tc.ca>...
> > I realize that the two can't be directly compared,
>
> Sez who?  They are already on a collision course, according to
> http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~phoenix/vinge/vinge-sing.html Vinge.

Since they have completely different architectures and since we hardly
understand the
human brain at all, I would argue it is very difficult to do a _direct_
comparison.
I personally don't think the "raw" power of the computing platform (brain or
machine) is as
important as how it is used.
Even though machines are getting more powerful there are no reliable signs
that they are approaching
anything that we would call intelligence. We don't know how to design it and
just piling up a big ANN
just isn't enough.
Human intelligence has evolved over a very long time in intense interaction
with a harsh environment. This
might be the only way for machines to become intelligent as well and I don't
see it happening within 30 years.

/Claes