Question about cranial nerves (regarding terminal nerve)

*Hemidactylus* hemidactylus at my-deja.com
Mon Dec 6 21:03:08 EST 1999

In article <LqR24.20$MC2.4206 at typhoon.nyu.edu>,
  kr4 at is2.nyu.edu (Kalman Rubinson) wrote:
> *Hemidactylus* (hemidactylus at my-deja.com) wrote:
> > This would likely open the issues concerning humans and pheromones. The VNO
> > and terminal nerve could very well be homologous, but I'm not too sure off
> > the top of my head.
>
> Not quite.

Sorry, but this statement carries no informational value. What is meant by
"Not quite"?

Do you mean:

1.The VNO and terminal nerve are not homologous. I corrected this blunder of
mine on another followup.

2.There are no issues regarding pheromones and the VNO?

3.There are no issues regarding pheromones and the terminal nerve?

I assume you mean #1, but I could be mistaken. I can't read minds. I've heard
more about #2 than #3.

In another post (a reply to Bill Skagg's) you implied that the vomeronasal
nerve is a cranial nerve. Is this true?

> > ref:
> >
> > Kent GC and Miller L. 1997. Comparative Anatomy of the Vertebrates. Wm. C.
> > Brown Publishers. Dubuque
>
> You need to delve into the literature for these.  For VNO, check under the papers
> of M. Halpern.

Thanks. BTW, does the terminal nerve occur in adult humans? That is a
question relevant to 13 (or 12) cranial nerves existing in humans.

Do you know of any good references which review the phylogenetic spread of
the terminal nerve (cranial nerve O) in the vertebrates and presence versus
absence in humans. Is this a transient structure (a vestigial throwback) or a
permanent structure. If the latter, what is its function (if any)?

--
Scott Chase

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.