A clearcut definition of Potential please

Wookie koetje at boe.nl
Fri Feb 5 20:07:14 EST 1999

I know that a difference in charge between intracellular and
extracellular is responsible for the membrane potential.
But I just can't grasp the idea of a potential, the only thing that
you can measure is a difference.
As I understand correctly the membrane potential is the force
experienced by a charged particle that's within this electric field.
Can please someone give a better definition

TIA

Wookie