co-factor of monoamine oxidase????

galyles geoff at galyles.u-net.com
Sun Feb 7 18:46:12 EST 1999

Hyoung-gon Lee wrote in message <36B84794.7C2D283A at sun.hallym.ac.kr>...
>I'm studying now about monoamine oxidase(MAO) in mouse brain.
>MAO is known to catecholamine metabolism and oxidative stress.
>But I don't know whether iron or copper is co-factor or not?
>Some papers said that MAO  activity is regulated by iron and copper, but
>some paper said there is no relation.
>Anybody suggest about ............
>Thank you.

It's now generally accepted in this field that neither copper nor iron are
cofactors for the outer mitochondrial membrane enzyme monoamine oxidase
(which exists in two forms called MAO-A and B) and that flavin adenine
dinucleotide is the only important prosthetic group involved in the
catalysis of the breakdown of catecholamines and various other biogenic
amines by this enzyme. You could, for example, try to get hold of a recent
review by T.P. Singer in "Progress in Brain Research, vol. 106 (1995) 1 - 22
entitled "The colorful past and bright future of monoamine oxidase
research", which discusses various aspects of the properties of MAO, and
describes briefly (giving relevant source references) how the presence of
iron and copper reported in several early published purifications of the
enzyme was later found to have been due to insufficient removal of
contaminants containing these metals. Subsequent improved purification
procedures didn't support a role for the metals as cofactors. There is an
early report in the literature that MAO activity is reduced in the liver of
iron-deficient rats but this, in itself, doesn't have to indicate a
necessity for iron to be an intrinsic component of the enzyme. If you would
like more detailed information on the relevant literature or need help in
getting it please e-mail me at the address below.

Dr Geoff Lyles
Department of Pharmacology & Neuroscience
University of Dundee, Scotland, UK
e-mail; G.A.Lyles at dundee.ac.uk