machine brains

Tom Norback tom.norback at cwix.com
Sun Feb 7 09:42:41 EST 1999

"That there is a close connection between a state of consciousness and the
brain we do not dispute.  But there is also a close connection between a
coat and the nail on which it hangs, for, if the nail is pulled out the coat
falls to the ground.  Shall we say then that the shape of the nail gives us
the shape of the coat, or in any way corresponds to it?"

--Henri Bergson, "Matter and Memory"

(Just another person who believes representationalism is a dead end.)