A NEW question about lidocaine

Tim Tillman tillman at ithink.net
Sun Feb 7 00:23:34 EST 1999

Over a year ago I was having several moles (much less than 6.02 X 10^23)
removed for cosmetic reasons over several months.  The max was two at a
time, as that was all BCBS would cover.  All were under local lidocaine with
epinepherin.

The last two straddled the carotid artery on the right side of my neck.  I
remember thinking, "I hope the LPN doesn't stab me in the carotid.  Well,
like all the other times, I was in and out of the dermatologists office and
home inside of 30 minutes.  But this last time, I began to feel flushed,
anxious, like a precursor to one of my panic attacks.  I began to have
extremely strong heart contractions, regular beats, about 100 bpm.  I laid
myself down and these passed within an hour.

The question is, could this reaction have been due to placing lidocaine so
close to the vagus nerve or carotid artery or might it have been due to the
epinephrine or both.

Tim