A NEW question about lidocaine

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Sun Feb 7 21:17:01 EST 1999

Lidocaine and other local anesthetics (incl. cocaine) have a potential
for exacerbating seizure vulnerability, and I believe susceptible
people may have "partial seizure-like" experiences.  We know litle
about the basis of panic attacks, but they can be chemically induced
(viz., the lactic acid probe); and some partial-seizures manifest
themselves as emotional experiences (suggesting focus in some limbic
structure), including panic.  Conceivably, your reported history of
panic attacks may be relevant to a vulnerability to lidocaine side
effects.

F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
New York Neuropsychology Group