Dental trouble & apnea (lidocaine abstracts)

John B. Fisher john_b_fisher at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 8 10:44:23 EST 1999

Brian Sandle wrote:

> You should be using a threaded newsreader. Then each
> thread is like a little newsgroup. If you lose interest you
> don't have to read that thread.

I'ld be very surprised if Bear does not have a threaded newsreader.

> The reason this article is in all those groups is that it
> started in the pain & fibromyalgia groups, had a followup
> to earlier material of mine which had received replies on
> bionet.neuroscience, is on the sleep disorder group
> because it is asking whether people have considered
> sleep apnea as a cause for their pains, and it of course
> is asking whether the dentists have thought of any
> connection to their work and sleep disorder - troubles
> occurring after a night or so. It is on the mult-sclerosis
> group since it arose after a radio program on MS
> following local anesthetic and it also hopes to clarify
> more about MS and locals.

Yes, sleep disorders do cause many symptoms, not the least of which are
neurological.  But the correlation between these symptoms are related to (a)
sleep deprivation and (b) reduced saturated oxygen in the blood ... along
with increased CO2 levels.  Sorry, that's the correlating factor.

>> and has not solicited any interest on the ASSD news group.
>
> Which I find disappointing. I was hoping that someone might
> cramps from sleep apnea, or neck cramps or whatever. Or
> maybe ASSD will deny any pains or physical effects other
> than sleepiness from sleep apnea. Though the receptionist
> I spoke to at the local hospital here said it does have
> neurological effects. You might tell me how one knows if one
> has it if one sleeps alone. She said wives mainly report it
> to husbands.

Sigh!  You obviously think a sleep disorder such as sleep apnea is just
something that can get better with a little more sleep.  Sarcastic.  Yes.
But you clearly have not done the research prior to including this newsgroup
in your post.

Sleep apnea (obstructive or caused by the central nervous system) results in
a host of typical symptoms.  They tend to cluster around two primary areas.

Neurological

This cluster includes depression, extreme daytime sleepiness (which kills
due to auto and industrial accidents), sleep deprivation, hypnogenic
hallucenations, short term memory loss, irratibility, to name a few.

Cardiovascular

This second cluster includes hypertension, stroke, heart attacks,
potentially congestive heart failure (the research on this is in progress),
leg cramps, night sweats, just to name a few symptoms.

By noting this, I'm not denying the possibility there may be a connection in
a few individuals.  Just the vast majority of us have far more common
causes.

Regards,
=jbf=

John B. Fisher