Dental trouble & apnea (lidocaine abstracts)

Brian Sandle bsandle at southern.co.nz
Mon Feb 8 04:43:58 EST 1999

In sci.med.dentistry K. Bennett <klmwb at cybergal.com> wrote:
: I have also had SEVERE seizures from Lidocaine injections in Dental Offices. I
: found that I don't have that reaction from it if it is the type WITHOUT
: EPINEPHRINE!!! NO EPI...The injections usually are given with this included to
: help keep the med localized for longer...without it, it takes about 30 minutes
: before you have to have another shot!

I was asking the dentist about that. He says he does not use epinephrine
(also known as adrenaline). He says that it is a different thing from a
vasoconstrictor. That puzzled me. I was saying that becuase he did not
use adrenaline - a vasoconstrictor - that perhaps the mepivicaine or
prilocaine that he uses would travel further into areas where it might
cause other trouble.

I think he uses longer acting anesthetics to compensate.

On the sci.med.dentistry thread I have been making some comments about
allergy to dental filling composite material and also putting some
questions about the cerebrospinal pressure (and its pulse).

 Tell the folks you deal with "NO EPI" and
: your shakes can be "normal" terror from sounds of drilling and smells of YOUR
: teeth being drilled!

: Also, I recently had a root canal redone, and they told me that they weren't
: gonna use Lidocaine at all because they preferred (?not sure heard exactly
: rightly?) DARVOCAINE? for that?

: Ask...

Actually I don't feel much difference in discomfort with or without
injection.

 : K. Bennett

Brian Sandle