Nonhuman empathy

Jason Ebaugh ebau0002 at tc.umn.SPAMNOT.edu
Wed Feb 10 14:32:52 EST 1999

"Sergio Navega" <snavega at ibm.net> wrote:

It is very, very tempting to enter into a discussion about this and
challenge some of the assumptions of the last post. I will not do this
however, for two reasons. First because the verdict is not out yet on
nonhuman empathy therefore energy is better spent finding an answer
rather than arguing for possible answers which are not yet properly
supported. It will take research. Second, I feel that my education has
holes yet in this area and I do not wish to make bold statements in
areas I have not had sufficent course work in.
What I will say is that the statement " No, thats only a reaction to a
stimulus percieved as dangerous" is just ideology and has as little
backing as my assertiont that my turtle understoood that I, like him
"see". Classical Behaviorism has been thrown out as applied to humans,
but we have much work to do in weeding out its fallicies with other
species.