Nonhuman empathy

Cijadrachon cijadra at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Feb 9 22:36:02 EST 1999

>>There is a controversy about whether animals besides humans are
>>capable of empathy.
Here in Berlin in German we use it different, to do with telepathic
ranges carrying emotional data, though there are some other uses.
In that sense of course we are not the only mammal with such.
Since we talk I guess that for many it might not be that important.
Some of the deaf people and young children seem to use it more.

... And what some sense censored Westies think who would not manage a
telepathic link into another mammal or bird in the first place I find
rather irrelvant compared to what some of those who manage are having
for data.

>Impressively, the bonobo also looks at the ceiling,
>...Now try to do this with your dog.
>The result will be no recognition,
>showing that dogs ... do not have enough "brain machinery"
> to present this kind of behavior.

I guess some dogs might get to similar results about its human
concerning smell.

There was a dog who knew me for years barking at me till I got 5
meters close.  Did not have the impression that she saw well.

(Apart from that some of the dogs I saw reminded me more of
genetically warped guinea-pigs with longer legs.)