machine brains

Michael Edelman mje at mich.com
Thu Feb 11 08:29:19 EST 1999

Odefey wrote:

> The whole idea of creating a mechanical brain IS NOT impossible with the
> lack of information on our brain.  We already have done such.  Like it or
> not, each computer is a very simple "brain".

In the sense that a sea slug has a brain, sure- a few thousand neurons, well
mapped out. But is a sea slug self aware?

Man-made computers are state variable machines in the same way that the brains
of animals appear to be state-variable machines- but that's just defining the
question downward. It says nothing about conciousness. Sort of the hard
positivist/behaviorist approach- "Conciusness is just an artifact of behavior.
Next question?"

-- mike