(no subject)

Walter Eric Johnson wej3715 at scully.tamu.edu
Thu Feb 11 14:27:15 EST 1999

Michael Edelman (mje at mich.com) wrote:
: Cijadrachon wrote:
:
: > R.Hill at iti.salford.ac.uk wrote:
: >
: > ...
: >
: > >Why does the response time take so long compared with the  time taken
: > >for a reflex.
: >
: > Merrily guessing I'd assume that some reflexes go off before I am
: > informed about that (compare doctor knee -"hammer"-tap ---> reflex),
:
: Correct. Many reflexes do not involve the CNS at all. Some, like the
: patellar reflex mentioned, take place entirely at the level of the spine.
: The brain find out about it *after* it happens. That reflex, BTW, is the
: same one that makes you recover quickly when you step into a hole. It
: makes walking possible.
:
: Some reactions are mediated in lower brain, and require no concious input,
: but still go through CNS. Some require concious monitoring and decision
: making.

Which reflexes involve the brain for the processing?  Even the corneal
reflex, as near as the brain is, is entirely processed within the
trigeminal nerve.

Obviously, the micturition reflex is one that is mediated in the
pontine micturition center.  What others are there?

Eric Johnson