machine brains

Michael Edelman mje at mich.com
Thu Feb 11 08:49:28 EST 1999

Chris Malcolm wrote:

> Michael Edelman <mje at mich.com> writes:
>
> >Humans can drive a car, smoke a cigarette, drink coffee and carry on
> >a phone conversation simultaneously.
>
> Some find it necessary to stop smoking in order to drink (and vice
> versa), and some swallow the coffee backwards and choke if they try to
> drink and speak at the same time.

Having once been a smoker, I can attest to the ability of the human mind
to drink coffee, smoke, steer, shift, talk over the radio and still find
an extra digit for inter-car communications. Perhaps I once had 4 extra
arms which have since atrophied. But while the physical limitations exist,
there's no cognitive or channel overload.

> The police are also likely to
> prosecute if you try this, since they don't believe it can be done
> with adequate safety and reliability by anyone not trained in police
> driving techniques.

Ah, functions #7 & 8: Donuts and high speed pursuit! ;-)--
Michael Edelman     http://www.mich.com/~mje