machine brains

The Walrus the_walrus at BLOCK.bigfoot.com
Fri Feb 12 05:05:22 EST 1999

Chris Malcolm wrote:

> Michael Edelman <mje at mich.com> writes:
>
> >Humans can drive a car, smoke a cigarette, drink coffee and carry on
> >a phone conversation simultaneously.

<snip>

>  The police are also likely to
> prosecute if you try this, since they don't believe it can be done
> with adequate safety and reliability by anyone not trained in police
> driving techniques.

I have this strange mental image of the police driving instructors ...

"Mirror, signal, inhale, did you see the football last night? Ok, give it
some clutch and swallow. I thought Arsenal were bloody atrocious ... NO!
flick the ash out of the window, not into the coffee cup ... here's your
mum on the phone, by the way ..."

Sorry.

d.