thyroid in pregnancy

steve madison s.madison at sympatico.ca
Thu Feb 11 22:24:53 EST 1999

Laura wrote:

> A search on medline for the importance
> of thyroid hormone in pregnancy/infancy
> brought up a bunch of stuff on the
> problomatic development in children
> born with hypothyroidism.  However,
> I was wondering about children born
> to *mothers* who were hypothyroid
> or on thyroid replacement because of
> a previous hypothyroid diagnosis.  I
> thought thyroid hormone needs went up
> during pregnancy (no evidence, though;
> just something I thought I read a while
> ago).   Would the fetus be adversely
> affected by that? Does the thyroid cross
> the placenta and affect development of
> the fetus?
>
> Thanks!
> Laura

  hi laura,

i don't have my references with me but here is an article reference that
may be close (or contain references closer to what you had in mind) to
your question.  it deals with the effects of hypothyroidism on diaphragm
development.

"Hypothyroidism alters diaphragm muscle development." Sieck, G.C., L.E.
Wilson, B.D. Johnson and W.-Z. Zhan; Journal of Applied Physiology
81(5):1965-1972, 1996.

good luck,

steve
neuromuscular research