aspartamine/aspartame

Edward Justin Modestino ejmodest at sas.upenn.edu
Thu Feb 11 22:01:15 EST 1999

So,
what do all of you fellow neuroscientists think about the hype that
nutrasweet causes a plethora of diseases including brain damage and
cancer?  There is so much crap on the net about this that isn't supported
by research. I even been threatened by people explaining to them.  I spent
three hours researching this on Medline and found no evidence of this.  I
mean at normal doses phenylalanine and aspartate are safe, unless one has
PKU.  Phenylalanine may even help those who are depressed, anergic and
under aroused (i.e. narcolepsy, hypersomnia) by increasing catecholamine
production.
Ed Modestino
M.Phil. candidate in psychobiology
University of Pennsylvania