Nonhuman empathy

Jason Ebaugh ebau0002 at tc.umn.SPAMNOT.edu
Fri Feb 12 12:01:35 EST 1999

Michael Edelman <mje at mich.com> wrote:

>The fallacy committed by the turtle owner was not just in assuming the
>existence of certain states to his turtle, but more importantly, assuming
>that the turtle was experiencing a certain state based on a behavior that
>would correlate with that state in humans.

I said my turtle knew that others see. I made no guess as to what
emotional state this is. I guess it was implied that an emotional was
present in the turtle. That, however, is a far cry from saying the
turtle feels all the things humans do or feels them in the same way.
The fallacy committed by Edelman is the strawman. I never refered to a
"certian state" as is claimed. And I never tried to correlate any
state in the turlte to one in a human.

My turtle acts differently when I am looking at him versus when I am
going about some other business in my room. My turtle knows I see.