machine brains

Joe Kilner jjmk2 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Fri Feb 12 14:37:28 EST 1999

Ray Scanlon wrote in message <36c471bb.0 at ns2.wsg.net>...

<snippety snip>

>These are the sort of things we should be talking about when we talk of
>machine brains, not our subjective experience of the soul (mind).

As I too am getting rather tired of this discussion and so I am inclined to
agree and just turn to a rather more interesting discussion - but the point
I was trying to make was simply that I feel viewing the brain as a meat
machine may be a little short sighted.  I am not viewing the mind/brain from
the point of view of a philosopher trying to explain mind, but from the
point of view of a scientist / philosopher of science with regards to how it
fits into the empirical model etc.  My basic point is that I think your path
will explain the brain scientifically, but that this is not necesarrily the
same knowledge as you might expect someone to possess if they said "I know
how the brain works.".  I feel that the brain is pushing the limits of
science as a knowledge system - not through any fault of neuroscience but as
a property of what it is we are trying to understand.   Still - only time
will answer that question.

    Joe