the literary mind

AlMaur777 almaur777 at aol.com
Fri Feb 12 21:38:31 EST 1999

I'm a journalist working on an article and book proposal on the idea of the
"literary mind," as outlined by Mark Turner in his book of the same name.
Turner's theory comes from research into how the brain creates and recognizes
categories then combines them in small spacial stories to make sense of
incoming sensory data relative to the body.
Roger Schank, formerly of Yales artificial intelligence laboratory wrote a book
called _Tell Me A Story_ saying outright "We think in stories." He developed a
theory of "scripts," to explain this. We have a restaurant script, a grocery
store script, a new person script. We only remember details that vary in many
of these scripts. You remember the grocery store trip where you slipped on a
wet floor or they changed where they put the coffee.
Psychologist John Brunner says we need a cultural psychology to study how
narrative creates personal, family, social, and national meaning.
Turner and others base some of their speculations on Gerard Edelman's ideas
about neruonal group firing (which accounts for categories that receive instant
recognition).
Any comments on this to me privately or on the list would be appreciated, since
the neurological connections so to speak, are an important part of this whole
idea.
I am particularly interested in any research that might confirm or seriously
challenge any of these ideas. But ideas for further research are also welcome.
Allan Maurer
AlMaur777 at aol.com