machine brains

AlMaur777 almaur777 at aol.com
Fri Feb 12 21:27:21 EST 1999

Has anyone read _Tell Me A Story_ by former Yale A-I researcher Roger Schank?
He states "We think in stories," a suggests a theory of mental scripts for much
of our everyday thinking.
In _The Literary Mind_Mark Turner suggests a possible neural physiological
basis for this citing Edelman's neuronal groups theory, and proceeding to state
unequivocally that the everyday mind develops conscious thought from categories
combined with "image schemas" to form tiny spacial stories, which in turn make
larger stories he calls fables. We combine stories in "blended spaces" to make
meaning out of our sensory and body experience.
I'm surprised I see little discussion of this topic, since it seems to me that
a great deal of research in the last 50 years is converging on this idea, that
our everyday mind thinks primarily in stories.