the literary mind

wordaday at my-dejanews.com wordaday at my-dejanews.com
Sat Feb 13 21:51:24 EST 1999

In article <19990212213831.17630.00000615 at ng-fz1.aol.com>,
  almaur777 at aol.com (AlMaur777) wrote:
> I'm a journalist working on an article and book proposal on the idea of the
> "literary mind," as outlined by Mark Turner in his book of the same name.
<snip>
> called _Tell Me A Story_ saying outright "We think in stories." He developed a
> theory of "scripts," to explain this. We have a restaurant script, a grocery
> store script, a new person script. We only remember details that vary in many
> of these scripts. You remember the grocery store trip where you slipped on a
> wet floor or they changed where they put the coffee.

You might be interested in another similar "take" on the subject of the human
mind as a kind of literary engine. Melanie Anne Phillips
(http://www.heartcorps.com) has developed a theory of storytelling called
Dramatica, and expanded that into a theory of the human mind, called Mental
Relativity. Her ideas make for interesting reading, though I'm not completely
sure I follow ever step of her argument -- could be just me :)

Her articles on the subject should make for provocative and at times
enlightening reading, and would be an interesting counterpoint to the reading
you've done so far.