For every one scientist who dabbles in genetics

ATeasd5941 ateasd5941 at aol.com
Tue Feb 16 18:24:00 EST 1999

>>>>>>>>Carol T.,
British University students have a free ride once they are accepted into a
university.  <<<<<<<<<<

Oh dear, I think that the poor students should be told about that because they
need to let their parents know. It doesn't quite work out like that I'm afraid,
it's a nice romantic  illusion for other countries though.

>>>Secondly, all of the materials used in the U.S. are generally the same from
community colleges to Ivy League Universities.<<<

Whilst  your course materials may be the same from one college to another who
use the same examination board, I very much doubt that degree students would be
encouraged to use restrcted reading materials, it goes against development in
research and understanding. Secondly I suspect that like in our country you
will have different examination boards, which lead to a diverse learning across
the country. For example;  two boards  may favour the work of different people.
Thirdly I should think  that your university librarian has
some choice over the  materials they buy in, if not it would be a poor show.
But just suppose that they didn't, then someone would be deciding what to buy
to put on the shelves. No two people think alike, so the materials would differ
from one university to another.

I am not saying that you haven't been taught well, but I'm not sure that you've
been taught to question and challenge authority. If you are in your final year,
why not? How can you put forward good essays/papers if you can't see obvious
things?

However, I may be completely wrong and you may have a person who sits in a
Government office deciding what the whole Nation should be reading in all of
the universities.  In which case you want to get your degree and challenge and
then system as it needs changing.

Carol T