Newspapers report that cancer is caused by a virus

Tim Fitzmaurice tjf11 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Tue Feb 16 06:19:29 EST 1999

On 14 Feb 1999, ATeasd5941 wrote:
> February 14th * 1999 *
>  (Re: Polio Vaccines)
> Possible Cancer Link found between 1960's SV40  and todays tumours.
> There is a  that the ' possible' cancer causing virus came from monkeys!
> January 21st * 1911 *
> Newspapers report that cancer is caused by a virus. Dr Fransis
>  Peyon Rous of the Rockfeller Institute in New York successfully
>  transferred a cancerous growth from a chicken into healthy hens.
> A chemical or microbe may be considered.
>
> So what's new 87 years later ?  Such is the advance of science.

Rous' work is proof of concept....it indicated that something
transmissible could trigger concer, and it didn;t go into a great deal of
detail, limited by the technology to hand.

The SV40 work as you yourself so elegantly point out in the brackets, is a
study to detewrmine whether a particular virus, in a prticular
circumstance (contaminated vaccines) was causing a problerm in people
now...a somewhat applied piece of knowledge, radically different in
detail, purpose and who it interests.

The complaint voiced above is a bit like saying that Helicobacter was not
advance because we already new bacteria caused disease early this
century....

Tim
When playing rugby, its not the winning that counts, but the taking apart
ICQ: 5178568