Neurotransmitters

Edward Justin Modestino ejmodest at sas.upenn.edu
Thu Feb 18 17:31:53 EST 1999

Bill Gates,
Oh sorry Dave,
What do you mean by the abundance of neurotransmitters (NT's)?  Do you mean
the availability of NT's?
     Monoamines are usually abundant among those with average diets.  This
is because average diets contain their amino acid precursors, i.e.
L-tryptophan, L-tyrosine.  Of course, this excludes those with
neuropathologies.  They may even have abundant NT's but don't respond to
them correctly due to receptor malfunction, lesions, etc.  Other pathologies
may have a deficiency of NT's.  However, other transmitters are not as
dependent upon dietary precursors.
    Could you please clarify the question and also what your prof. meant
about evolutionary garbage?  Was she suggesting as we have evolved, we would
need less NT's and therefore our abundance is just vestigial like tonsils or
an appendix?