Neurotransmitters

Bill Gates bgates at microsoft.com
Thu Feb 18 16:21:48 EST 1999

Howdy,

    This group doesn't seem to have much traffic, but it could just be
my server.  I have a
question.  In my neurobiology class, we were discussing the abundance of
neurotransmitters; and my prof asked us for guesses of the cause.  She
put me on the spot, so I suggested that perhaps certain regions of the
brain primarily respond to certain transmitters, and other regions are
more responsive to another subset.  Thus, it would be possible for the
brain to regulate activity in various regions by simply controlling the
concentration of various transmitters.
    My prof didn't buy this explanation (and I don't entirely blame her,
since I pretty much made it up from my meager knowledge of
neurotransmitters), and instead suggested that the abundance is to
facilitate "fine tuning" of the transmitter action.  She further
suggested that part of the abundance is due to evolutionary "garbage".
I don't entirely buy her explanation.  Would anybody be able to shed
some light on this issue?

Dave