machine brains

Patti Muensterman LEZQ40C at prodigy.com
Sat Feb 20 01:04:09 EST 1999

The idea that intelligence is dependent on self-awareness is utterly
ridiculous. When we are dreaming, hallucinating, etc. we decipher codes
and messages on a level often much more intelligent than in our normal
waking state. Our own intelligence, free-will, self-awareness etc., are
little more than a series of complex electrical interactions and though
we still possess these attributes that make us unique as humans in
complete totality, they still are the offspring of a purely mechanical
organism. The dualist ghost in the machine idea of self-awareness is
analagous to the creationist argument that it must be accepted only on
faith because it has absolutely no scientific backing and is based only
on our own false sense of self.