infant stimulation: intelligence

LauraMom nospam at nospm.com
Sat Feb 20 00:11:02 EST 1999

Two ys ago, when my son was a baby, the
articles came out in Time/Newsweek (don't
remember which) in which they concluded
that as long as the baby was not *deprived*,
that the baby would get enough stimulation
for great brain development.  Ie, extra
stimulation didn't help.  Well, at the time
I was quite miffed because I'd written the
researcher/author a whole list of things that
I did with my son (she'd requested info from
misc.kids on what parents did to stimulate babies)
to stimulate him and, of course, she ignored
it all in her conclusion....  So I asked here
what the conclusion was of scientists-if you
believed that extra stimulation did not enhance
brain development.  The response was mixed.
Well, at 3 ys of age, my son is very bright-
was assessed as having superior non-verbal/
language skills, around the range of a 5-6 yr
old.  So, I go back to my original question.

Is there a scientific basis that extra stimulation
promotes brain development, or is minimal
all that matters.  I personally don't buy the
pre-programmed/genetic bit, but I study
brain development and environmental
influences (but at the NT level) so I'm a bit
biased......  And, of course, I suppose that I want
to believe that all the parenting work I put in mattered :)

I have a lot of opinions on what I did and why
I think it altered brain development, so if anyone
is interested, I can share that (NT, etc).  But I was
going to just throw out the basic question first.

Laura