Trail Making Test

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Sat Feb 20 21:33:14 EST 1999

In <36CF2E45.D1CC0878 at earthlink.net> Marcello Spinella
<marshmallow at earthlink.net> writes:

>I've been trying to think of a way to isolate a better mental shifting
>score from the Trail Making Test.  I believe 1 or 2 reasearchers have
>looked at Trails B-A as a way to do this. However, I was thinking of
>using a ratio of (B-A)/A, which would look at the difference
>proportional to the basic motor and scanning speed on A.
>
>Any thoughts on this?
>
>Marcello Spinella, Ph.D.

Didn't know I'd re-encounter his query here.  Already responded to
direct email by forwarding an exchange on a neuropsych listserver which
took place a few months ago.  Don't think my browser would let me
forward it to the newsgroup.  Marcell, if YOU can do so, please do; it
includes some references and some discussion of relationships to other
strategies for separating "frontal" from "other" functions with some
paired-test paradigms.

For now, let me just say a few things support the idea that B/A ratio
is most meaningful in terms of possible correlations with clinical
conditions and with other "frontal" tests.  I think of it more in terms
of "working memory" than of "set shifting".

F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
New York Neuropsychology Group