infant stimulation: intelligence

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Sat Feb 20 21:19:29 EST 1999

Long ago (e.g. 40 years ago?) the concept of "critical periods"
developed out of experiments in which animals (cats, usually?) were
deprived of normal pattern vision (translucent goggles? I forget), and
normal pattern vision never developed IF the period of deprivation was
at certain (early) age.  Later work suggested that as little as (if I
recall correctly) one hour per day would suffice for normal
development.

On the OTHER hand, there have been studies with rats in raised in
rather sparsely furnished cages compared with those raised in
"enriched" environments--opportunities for much climbing, exploration,
objects to manipulate, etc.  I believe these studies showed differences
at behavioral, neuroanatomical (histological) and neurochemical levels,
showing an advantage for enriched rearing.

Similar findings have been reported, I believe, for recovery after
brain injury.

It may be true that there is an engineering "safety factor" such that
grossly normal development can occur even under less than optimal
conditions, but I believe differences "within the normal range" can be
found after different kinds of early experience--behaviorally,
certainly, although neuroanatomic/neurochemical studies on humans may
not be able to demonstrate differences at our present level of
technology.

Caveat: there is at least anecdotal evidence that TOO MUCH or perhaps
TOO MUCH AND WRONGLY FOCUSED early childhood stiumulation can have
lifeloong detrimental effects.

F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
New York Neuropsychology Group