machine brains

Malcolm McMahon malcolm at pigsty.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 21 05:15:21 EST 1999

On Sun, 21 Feb 1999 03:18:10 GMT, Bloxy's at hotmail.com (Bloxy's) wrote:

>>There still is that cunning trick.  Image processing programs DO process
>>images; database programs DO process data; at SOME level, Big Blue DOES play
>>chase, & a very fine game indeed (sorry, Gary).
>>
>>Better give a name to what machines can do, than pretend they can do nothing.
>
>My humble seaker of THAT WHICH IS,
>the truth.
>
>Please don't engage in substitutions of this grade.
>There has never been an assertion that machine
>can do nothing. Can you please find a reference to
>where it has been stated.

What we've actually seen is the phylosophers move the goalposts of
"Intelligence" each time AI advanced. Playing chess used to be regarded
as an excellent test of intelligence until computers starting to beat
people at it. The Turing Test started to look a little shakey when Eliza
came along and had to be tightened up.