machine brains

Ray Scanlon rscanlon at wsg.net
Sun Feb 21 14:02:40 EST 1999

Rusty Wiley wrote in message ...
>I think that it is important to recognize that Ray is identifying soul,
>brain and, I believe, intelligence as the same thing.

Not really. My interest is in the brain. I equate soul with mind,
intelligence is just another of a myriad of euphemisms for soul. I leave all
that to religion.

>To quote Ray "First design a brain that is alert and then ask if you
>may make it aware."  We seem to have a problem with this because we know
>that we are aware and the same cannot be said for our own alertness.

I would argue that we are only aware of alertness in other organisms. I am
aware, you are alert.

Ray
Those interested in how the brain works might look at
www.wsg.net/~rscanlon/brain.html