For every one scientist who dabbles in genetics

Wookie koetje at boe.nl
Mon Feb 22 16:17:42 EST 1999

> Genetic "medicines" WILL NOT produce cures, only therapies.  Anyone who
>promises different is not telling you the truth. This
>isn't medicine grown out of compassion, it's coming from the need to line
>individual's pockets.

Let me try to explain to you , why genetic medicine CAN produce a cure
without being a therapy.
Screening of embryonic cels during pregnancy can detect congenital
disseases that are DNA related.
In the future it will be possible to make up for the faulty genes by
gene therapy.
The insertion of normal genes that will lead to the birth of a healthy
individual.
And I'm talking about a cure here.
Take for instance Retinoblastoma, a DNA linked tumor development in
the eyes in early age.
The only 'cure' for children suffering from this congenital dissease
is removing the eye.
With the advent of gene therapy you can avoid such a terrible faith.
I'm not a geneticist  ( in fact I'm a neurobiologist), but I'd work 10
years of my life to accomplish such a thing , and it wouldn't have
anything to do with filling my pockets.

AFJ van Aken