aspartamine/aspartame

Mark Gold mgold at tiac.net
Sun Feb 21 20:34:43 EST 1999

On Sun, 21 Feb 1999, Cat & Kevin Jackson-Mead wrote:

> I'm not a neuroscientist (nor any other sort of scientist), but I recently
> read a book called 'Excitotoxins:  The Taste That Kills', by Russell L.
> Blaylock, that discusses the damage to neurons that can be caused by
> aspartate, glutamate, and other excitotoxins.  Since reading that, I keep
> running into the aspartame/methanol scare with no mention of the kind of
> problems I read about in the book.  Is there more information available along
> the same lines as Blaylock's book (especially that written for the
> layperson)?  I'm curious because all the attention seems to be focused on the
> problem (if there really is one) with methanol, and none of it seems to relate
> to the work that Blaylock writes about.

Cat,

Dr. Blaylock is fully aware of the methanol/formaldehyde toxicity aspect
of aspartame. He was a recent Visiting Expert on the ADD/ADHD Internet
discussion group that I manage and he spoke primarily about excitotoxins,
but also the methanol/formaldehyde toxicity issue as well. You can see his
presentation at:  http://www.holisticmed.NET/add/ Most of the industry PR
about related to the aspartame and methanol/formaldehyde poisoning issue
is addressed at:

   http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/abuse/methanol.html

I have written quite a bit about the aspartame and excitotoxin issue, but
I don't have much on the Internet about it yet.  Check the following page
in a few weeks and hopefully, I will have finished a detailed discussion
of aspartic acid and glutamic acid:

     http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/abuse/

Best Wishes,
                             - Mark