infant stimulation: intelligence

Michael Edelman mje at mich.com
Mon Feb 22 09:43:29 EST 1999

F. Frank LeFever wrote:

> Long ago (e.g. 40 years ago?) the concept of "critical periods"
> developed out of experiments in which animals (cats, usually?) were
> deprived of normal pattern vision (translucent goggles? I forget), and
> normal pattern vision never developed IF the period of deprivation was
> at certain (early) age.

Right-  Hubel & Weisel. They got the Nobel for this (along with Roger
Sperry). They showed that the tytpes of pattern-responding cells that
developed in visual cortex was dependant on early experience.

> On the OTHER hand, there have been studies with rats in raised in
> rather sparsely furnished cages compared with those raised in
> "enriched" environments--opportunities for much climbing, exploration,
> objects to manipulate, etc.  I believe these studies showed differences
> at behavioral, neuroanatomical (histological) and neurochemical levels,
> showing an advantage for enriched rearing.

True.

What we can learn form this: Don't rely on Time and Newsweek to deliver
scientific reporting. ;-) The more stimulation you can provide to a child,
the better, and the earlier you provide it, the better. One of the
strongest early-childhood correlates to later academic success is whether
the child was read to. Surprise.

In <nospam-2002990011020001 at iq-ind-as001-219.iquest.net>

> nospam at nospm.com (LauraMom) writes:
> >
> .....  And, of course, I suppose that I want
> >to believe that all the parenting work I put in mattered :)

It did.

--
Michael Edelman