Nonhuman empathy

Chuck Kristensen chuck at spiderpharm.com
Mon Feb 22 18:49:27 EST 1999

Sergio,

I agree that the chimp is quite a bit closer to ourselves, but I think that
we might be missing alot when we get obsessed about our "higher level" of
this, that or whatever or trying to distinguish ourselves from other
animals. I particular in the areas of empathy and cognition, I think that
there is much which can learn about what we have by exploring radically
different models irregardless of whether than are innate, learned, complex
or simple.

Personally, I am quite satisfied to wait until we have a much better
understanding of what other animals do have, how they do it and why before
trying to figure out what they do not have or are incapable of.

Best,
Chuck