Neuroscience (career move?)

Edward Justin Modestino ejmodest at sas.upenn.edu
Tue Feb 23 13:19:14 EST 1999

One of my friends is 45 and she will graduate with her Ph.D. in neuroscience
this June.  You are not too old.  There are many ways to approach neuroscience.
You can often apply to a Ph.D. program in pschology with a concentration in
behavioral neuroscience or psychobiology.  One can apply to Ph.D. programs in
biology and specialize in neurobiology or neuroscience.  One can apply directly
to neuroscience departments.  One can apply to cognitive science Ph.D. programs
and specialized in cognitive neuroscience.  Every program is different.  Harvard
Medical School's Ph.D. in neuroscience only requires an undergraduate degree in
psychology.  Premed is not necessary.  Other Ph.D. programs in neuroscience,
such as the University of Pennsylvania, require a full premedical undergraduate
curriculm.  Every program has different requirements.  You may need to take some
psychology and biology courses beyond what you have already have taken to apply.
You will also need recent GRE scores.  I believe within the last 3 years.
Furthermore, you may be required to take a GRE subject test in psychology or
biology.  One of the mnost interesting programs to me is the cognitve
neuroscience program at Dartmouth College.  However, you need to find a program
that will let you take course work in your interests and has researchers that
you could potentially work with doing research that interests you.  Good luck!!
Ed