LTP vs LTD

Wookie koetje at boe.nl
Tue Feb 23 17:24:02 EST 1999

On 23 Feb 1999 18:50:04 GMT, Sturla Molden <stumol at stud.ntnu.no>
wrote:

>Wookie <koetje at boe.nl> wrote:
>: In LTP (with high concentrations Ca2+)  Protein kinases are activated
>: while in
>: LTD (with low concentrations Ca2+) Protein phosphatases are activated.
>
>Actually, protein kinase C is activated in LTP
besides protein kinase C there is also the activation of
calcium-calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II

>protein kinase A is activatetd in LTD.

I wonder if this is the case in hippocampal CA1 cells.
I believe that through the activation of a metabotropic glutamate
receptor which leads to a cascade you get a rise in protein kinase C
in Purkinje Cells.

AFJ van Aken