Neurotransmitters

Chuck Kristensen chuck at spiderpharm.com
Mon Feb 22 18:57:07 EST 1999

>But at what level is the diversity generated? In the case of antibodies,
the
>immunoglobulin genes are shuffled during development. What is the case with
>arachnid toxin diversity generation? Although the general principle might
be
>the same as you mention, I'd assume a distinction should be made for the
>mechanism.
>
>Scott Chase

Scott,

I don't really know. The machinery for the synthesis low molecular weight
and there has been relatively little work on the genetics of the peptide
toxins. If I remember correctly, Olivera's group in Utah has working with
Cone snail toxins and has found evidence for some kind of genetic shuffling
for producing variants of toxins. I have not seen similar work on spiders
toxins.

Best regards,
Chuck