LTP vs LTD (SCI vs. Medline)

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Tue Feb 23 21:43:00 EST 1999

In <7autd3$sds$2 at due.unit.no> Sturla Molden <stumol at stud.ntnu.no>
writes:

>F. Frank LeFever <flefever at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>: OR, if there is an alternative database for this kind of search, I'm
>: interested in learning about it; every little bit helps.
>
>Biological Abstracts and Medline are good aternatives
>to Science Citation Index.
>

>Sturla Molden

No, they are not.

That is to say, they are not alternative databases for the sort of
"forward citation search" Dr. Vickery referred to.

One CAN use the Permaterm index part of SCI as an alternative to
Medline, etc., but that is  another  story.

With SCI, used for its UNIQUE purpose, one starts with an article that
just about anybody would CITE if doing  related research or writing a
review subsequently.  For a given year, SCI lists articles published
that year WHICH HAVE INCLUDED THAT ARTICLE among their references.

This helps you find related work with or without the "key words" you
are looking for, with or without the "known experts" you are looking
for, etc., etc.

Unfortunately few people understand SCI's unique capabilities.  Some
"misuse" it, e.g. to count how many citations so-and-so has had (as
guide to tenure decisions, etc.)...

F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
New York Neuropsychology Group