THE "dangerous" FRENCH GAMMA-OH NOW SUPPORTED by the hypocritical F.D.A...

ltj ltjosser at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 24 14:57:06 EST 1999

Claude de Contrecoeur wrote:

> Look at the duplicity of the american FDA. They have labelled Gamma-OH
> a "dangerous" drug and,now,look what they do...
> This is typical of US commercial maneuvers to attack foreign
> products:demonisation,until they can catch up.

That's just the tip of the iceberg.  (Actually, many other countries
[Japan, etc] do the same thing when it comes to "inconvenient" imports.)
But few are as smug about it as the US.  And watch out if somebody like
Thailand tries to restrict import of American cigarettes; they were
threatened with a all-out trade war over this by the State Dept.  And much
has been written about US anti-drug efforts in South America being a cover
for right-wing gov't crackdowns on political opponents.

   The US medical/legal/police establishment has also used the "dangerous
drug" label domestically for many unprecedented extensions of state
power.  For example,  gov't confiscation of "tainted" assets (even without
any real evidence of a crime) is now so common in the US, that it's one of
the major funding mechanisms for law enforcement.  Two of the fastest
growing US industries are drug/urine-testing labs and prisons.  And, few
Americans seem ashamed (or even aware) that we have passed Russia, China,
Iran and South Africa to become the worlds' leading jailer - with a huge
proportion jailed for non-violent drug offenses.  American lawyers now
refer to (some even support) the so-called "Drug Exception" to the
Constitution/Bill of Rights - a phrase that Americans SHOULD find
repugnant!

LTJ