Heschl's Gyrus

Didier A. Depireux didier at Glue.umd.edu
Thu Feb 25 10:26:21 EST 1999

Peter Perret (perret at OLS.NET) wrote:
: I understand that Heschl's Gyrus is involved in the perception and
: processing of frequency: very high frequency (pitch) at one end, and

Heschl's gyrus is where the primary auditory cortex and peripheral areas
are located (the parabelt of macaques, etc).
There has been a few recent articles on the human HG, such as

How do our brains analyze temporal structure in sound?
Robert Zatorre
Nature Neuroscience September 1998 Volume 1 Number 5 pp 343- 345

Right parietal cortex is involved in the perception of sound movement in humans
Geraint Rees, Adrian Rees, and Co.
Nature Neuroscience May 1998 Volume 1 Number 1 pp 74 - 79

There have been also some MEG studies supposedly showing a pitch map in the
primary auditory cortex, but there are a lot of problems with these MEG
studies. The only thing that is sure is the presence of a tonotopic map in
the primary auditory cortex, and that's about it. At Neuroscience in
New-Orleans, there were a few posters about stimulating human AI with
current and asking the patient what they were hearing, but there was no
general rule as to what the percept would be. Some heard tone in noise,
some heard something like a truck rumbling... Poor knowledge of the
electrode placement didn't help!

Anyway, that's my vague answer to a vague question.

						Didier

Didier A Depireux                              didier at isr.umd.edu
Neural Systems Lab                 http://www.isr.umd.edu/~didier
Institute for Systems Research          Phone: 301-405-6557 (off)
University of Maryland                                -6596 (lab)
College Park MD 20742 USA                     Fax: 1-301-314-9920