Question about emotions versus reactions

Sergio Navega snavega at ibm.net
Thu Feb 25 07:21:58 EST 1999

"Rodrigo Ventura" wrote in message ...

>        In fact, our research is mainly inspired in Antonio Damasio
>(e.g., "descartes error", 1994). His work suggests the existence of
>two natures of stimulus processing in the brain --- at the level of
>the amygdala (what we call "perceptual"), and at the level of the
>neocortex (what we call "cognitive"). For instance, "primary emotion"
>involve the perceptual layer, and the "secondary" ones make use of
>both layers (using the prefrontal cortices to activate bodly
>representations). [snip]

Rodrigo, if I may suggest, calling what the amygdala does as
"perceptual" may confound things a bit. In Cognitive Psychology,
"perceptual" is used to denote functions performed very close to
the cognitive level that you mention. In fact, many scientists use
perception as an important part of our cognition (a position that
I agree).

As another point, if you're studying emotions and robotic
implementations, I think you should take a look at Aaron Sloman's
site:

http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~axs/

Prof. Sloman is one of the greatest authorities in AI and emotion
modeling and heads the Cognition and Affect Project, Univ. Birmingham.

Regards,
Sergio Navega.