LTP vs LTD

Austin P. So (Hae-Jin) haejin at netinfo.ubc.caX
Thu Feb 25 03:27:49 EST 1999

AFJ van Aken wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Feb 1999 18:06:40 -0800, "Austin P. So (Hae-Jin)"
> <haejin at netinfo.ubc.caX> wrote:
> >Besides I wouldn't put too much faith in the LTP/LTD models, but that's
> >just my humble opinion...
>
> And why is that?

Because it is non-physiological. And it is a phenomenon that is derived from a
very specific and extreme set of experimental conditions (as Frank LeFever
mentioned). Within that particular experimental paradigm, it's valid, I
guess...just like the earth was flat once :).

Besides, now there is just too much evidence for alternate means of achieving
synaptic potentiation which are by far more physiological and just plain make
more sense.

> I've been reading about LTP processes in which no NMDA receptors are
> being used.
> Would you suggest that LTP models are an overgeneralization?

Absolutely.

--
---
Austin P. So (Hae Jin)