Question about emotions versus reactions

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Thu Feb 25 22:37:41 EST 1999

re final section: tricky!

It may be that consciousness DEPENDS on the reticular formation, but is
it (in?) the "domain" of the reticular formation?

Analogous, perhaps to hippocampal function, on which "associative"
memory seems to depend, although memory is not "in" the hippoocampus?

A couple of years ago, I had the pleasure of talking with Joaquim
Fuster, and among other things was able to tell him I had read his
study (in Science?) WHEN IT WAS RECENT AND "HOT", in which brainstem
stimulation enhanced a monkey's reaction time performance--a
performance which required more than the brainstem reticular formation.

Is it perhaps more correct to say that the reticular formation enhances
activity in widespread areas of the cortex, and this concerted activity
might better be thought of as the "domain" of consciousness?

Hmmm...as I write this, I am reminded of Fuster's more recent work
(last 10-15 years or so), in which prefrontal areas seem to play a role
somewhat similar to the reticular formation, but more selectively
focused, activating parts of posterior cortex important for the
immediate task: selective attention, working memory, etc., directed
from the top down, as contrasted to bottom-up rather indiscriminate
"alerting" by the reticular formation?

F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
New York Neuropsychology Group