machine brains

dmb106 dmb106 at york.ac.uk
Sat Feb 27 07:16:20 EST 1999

-Who is that Ray S.?
-Oh, him, he is just a big fool.

> When we speak of the subjective, we leave science of the material world and
> enter theology.
> It is the soul (mind) that is aware. I maintain that the relationship
> between the brain and the soul (mind) is past our understanding. We lack the
> needed mental equipment.

Correction, when YOU speak of the subjective, YOU leave science of the
material world and YOU enter theology. YOU maintain that YOUR the
relationship between the brain and the soul (mind) is past YOUR
understanding . YOU lack the needed mental equipment.

Sorry. I couldn't resist. In a less offensive tone....

> A materialistic explanation of the brain is interesting enough for me. I am
> particularly interested in how the mammalian brain interpolates synaptic
> events between sensory input and motor output by means of the reticular
> nucleus of the thalamus.

This depends on what explanation of the brain you are going for. If
you want an understanding of all the cells in the brain and how they
work (a noble field of enquiry which I beleive Ray is involved in),
then mind is totally irrelavent.

It is when we try to construct an overall picture of how the brain
works when we think then mind is a factor. I think the terms
-explain how the brain works- and -explanation of the brain-
are too open to interpretation.

The explanation of the brain is a vast subject, I think
confusion over the exact field being delt with is causing a lot of
controversy.

This is a theme in science, tell somone about cloning and they will
react badly, the fact that it is routene in labs all over the world is
lost on them.

Thanks, Dan.