Deja vu

Nick Medford nick at hermit0.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 27 13:19:12 EST 1999

In article <7b9au8$bhl at dfw-ixnews4.ix.netcom.com>, F. Frank LeFever
<flefever at ix.netcom.com> writes

>One of these days, I'll bring home proper citation for my comments in
>Int. J. Neuroscience (c. 5 yrs ago?), summarizing Mortimer Mishkin's
>talk in a NYNG conference I had organized.  Among other things,
>discussed two-way comounication in cortical streams carrying input from
>visual cortex to hippocampus, and back out again to posterior
>association cortex, problem of distinguishing between current percepts,
>hallucinations, and vivid memories.
>
>In that context, cited Hughlings Jackson's descriptions of "uncinate
>fits", i.e. seizures arising in the uncus, with "dreamy states"
>sometimes involving aberrations in the sense of familiarity--not only
>dlefal vu, but also jamais vu (things well-known to you which "feel"
>unfamiliar, strange).
>
>Usually, the problem is put in terms of a specific event which seems to
>be re-experienced, because of the strong sense of familiarity each
>detail of the event SEEMS to evoke.
>
>I emphasize "seems to evoke", because one of his footnotes reports a
>very articulate and thoughtful patient who describes a very strong
>sense of familiarity, but--of what, he did not know.

I think this is an important point. Clinically the deja-vu experience
often has this "elusive" quality. Furthermore some of the odd feelings
associated with epileptic "auras", while not usually classified as deja-
vu, have this kind of feel to them.

>I think this is an important clue.  My belief is that coincidence
>between current events and previously experienced events provides a
>necessary and sufficient signal for the uncus to "excrete" a sense of
>familiarity.  Given the numerous ways in which thresholds can be biased
>in the nervous system, the uncus may be too ready or not ready enough
>to "excrete" familiarity in a given situation; given multiple
>possibilities for "short-circuits" and aberrant signals, its
>"excretion" may become dissociated from normal recognition processes.

As a neurocognitive model this is certainly more plausible- or more
refined,perhaps- than Sergio's idea. Seems to allow for deja-vu in both
epileptic and normal brain states. But what does "excreting familiarity"
really mean?! Do you have any refs on possible neurochemical substrates
for this?

--
Nick Medford